Wonder Woman ca. 1918

I was intrigued by the idea of aging a movie trailer to make it appear to be from the silent era.  It essentially admits that silent films are a separate art in and of themselves, with unique pros and cons (while of course also providing the opportunity for a humorous editing project).  As such I immediately began to rack my brain for recent movie trailers… Then I hit upon the new trailer for Wonder Woman.  Not only is it a beautiful example of a modern movie trailer, but the setting of the film is WWI.  I could essentially edit the trailer to match the time-period of the film itself!  As such, I realized that it would be the perfect candidate to return to the silent era.

This video assignment posed a unique challenge, in that I have a great deal of experience with editing video, but haven’t had much need to use effects.  So I began playing around with different options in the effect room of Cyberlink PowerDirector (my video-editing software), and found an effect called “Old Movie” that seemed to fit my needs.  However, I adjusted the background color, as the original seemed to filter with a strange sort of mustard yellow that just seemed odd.  I also realized that my video still seemed too smooth.  It now was black and white with aged lines, but the actual playback wasn’t jumpy.  I ultimately decided to combat this by adjusting the playback speed.  I’ve actually been searching for a way to edit speed for a while now, and now had real motivation to properly investigate.  Combing through the designer options yielded nothing, nor the effects room.  I ultimately opted to try a Google search, and voila!  The answer turned out to be in the Power Tools section of my software.  I then sped up my footage to make it jerkier.

After adjusting the playback speed, I began to work with title cards (specifically this one), stretching my selected card to fully fit the 16:9 aspect ratio.  I opted to use subtitles to insert the dialogue.  This was a bit of a pain, as it was difficult to center the dialogue, and timeline adjustments usually meant adjusting the placement of all the following subtitles.  I also used Incompetech to select my silent film music, ultimately choosing a bouncier intro piece and a more dramatic distressed piece for the latter half of the trailer.  After making small adjustments here till the video met my satisfaction, I published the final product on YouTube.

The final product looks relatively well aged.  Personally, I most enjoy the mashup of WWI battle scenes with this silent film style.  The two mash together quite well, and helped affirm my trailer selection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *